POSITION TITLE: Digitization Technician
LOCATION: Bethlehem, PA
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Project Coordinator
SALARY: $15.25 per hour
POSITION STATUS: Open until filled
Backstage Library Works is seeking individuals with an interest in photography and cultural heritage to join our team as Digitization Technicians. This entry-level technician will be responsible for retrieving batches of materials from storage, logging these batches, digitizing on high-end camera systems, and handling rare and fragile materials. This individual will perform daily routines to do image and data review.
This is a full-time position (40 hours per week), or part-time position, schedule permitting. Core hours are 3:00pm – 11:30pm with an unpaid half-hour lunch and one paid 20 minute break. Benefits for full-time individuals include accrued paid time off and holiday pay. Medical, dental, and eye care plans are available, and Backstage offers a competitive 401k match.
- Capture digital images from paper or film according to specifications and standards.
- Perform modifications to images such as cropping and rotating.
- Perform image inspection and collect metadata.
- Perform material preparation, collation and data entry
- Maintain strong production levels and consistently good quality of work.
- Handle materials and information in a conscientious and organized way.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Experience with digital scanning or photography.
- Adept at handling material fragile in nature without damage.
- Work productively and independently.
- Learn new skills quickly and thoroughly.
- Perform repetitive tasks for periods of time and work well in a fast-paced production environment.
- Meet daily production levels and standards in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Attentiveness to detail and quality.
- Incumbent must be able to perform inspection of digital images for completeness, image quality, proper resolution and bit depth in accordance with client specifications.
- Must be able to type accurately in order to capture metadata and record information in spreadsheet or appropriate database.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Outlook and navigate the digital server environment.
- Will be responsible for sending files through automated processes.
- Responsible for a final quality inspection of work before it is sent to the client.
- Good communication skills.
- Basic familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Problem-solving and ability to follow written and verbal instructions with little supervision.
- Able to work full-time, 40 hours per week, and willingness to work flexible/overtime hours as required and ability to work as part of a team.
Preferred Additional Qualifications & Skills, But Not Required
- College degree or certificate
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop or other imaging software
- Experience with data entry, rekeying or editing text.
A background check and drug screening will be a mandatory part of the hiring process.
Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter and resume to moc.wlsb@ylppa.
Learn More About Us!
- We post on our blog regularly about the latest topics in the industry.
- Conferences are a great way to network and attend discussions about librarianship and the latest technologies.
Our social has regular updates – links below!