Our mission at Backstage Library Works is to provide high-quality, cost-effective professional services that preserve, organize, describe, and connect you to the world’s knowledge.
POSITION TITLE: Temporary On-Site Digitization Technician
LOCATION: University of California, Berkeley
DURATION: 9-12 months
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Project Coordinator, located at our Bethlehem, PA office
SALARY: $19.00 per hour / Salary based on experience
POSITION STATUS: Open until filled
Backstage Library Works is seeking a temporary digitization technician to work at the University of California, Berkeley in Berkeley, CA for a project. The digitization technician will be responsible for the on-site day-to-day digitization production, including operations of overhead cameras and operating a book cradle. This will involve retrieving batches of materials from the library, logging these batches, digitizing on a high-end digital planetary camera system, and handling rare and fragile materials. This person will perform daily routines to do image review, copy & backup data, communicate production statistics to the Bethlehem, PA office, and closely monitor production on a day by day basis. This position will report directly to the Project Coordinator at the Bethlehem, PA facility.
This is a temporary full-time position (40 hours per week) for an anticipated 9-12 months. Hours will be based on access to the library: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Full-time shifts include one 30-minute unpaid lunch break and one 20-minute paid break. Benefits include accrued paid time off and holiday pay. Medical, dental, and eye care plans available and Backstage offers a competitive 401k match.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Experience in photography, digital imaging, or graphic arts
- Need to handle fragile materials without causing damage
- Work in a fast-paced production environment while meeting daily production levels, maintaining consistent high-quality levels
- Perform inspection of digital images as well as minor modifications to images such as cropping and rotating
- Must be able to type accurately in order to capture metadata and record information in a spreadsheet or an appropriate database.
- Must be able to use Windows & Microsoft Outlook Suite as well as navigate Mac OS, Google Sheets, and Google Docs
- Solid computer skills to navigate a digital server environment
- Willingness to work flexible/overtime hours as required, and the ability to work as part of a wide-spread team
- Willingness to travel to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania for two weeks of training
Preferred Additional Qualifications & Skills, But Not Required
- College degree or certificate
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Capture One, or other imaging software
- Experience with scanning or digital archiving
- Previous supervisory experience
A background check and drug screening will be a mandatory part of the hiring process. The hired technician will also be required to travel to Bethlehem, PA for specialized equipment training.
Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter and résumé/CV to James Wolff, operations manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.