Our mission at Backstage Library Works is to provide high-quality, cost-effective professional services that preserve, organize, describe, and connect you to the world’s knowledge.
POSITION TITLE: Temporary On-Site Metadata Cataloger
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Project Manager
SALARY: $21.50 per hour
POSITION STATUS: Open until filled
The Cataloger will be working on-site at Johns Hopkins University to catalog a collection of monographs and serials in MARC21 format. Materials are primarily in English and western European languages with some additional material in other languages. The Cataloger will provide editing of copy records, including addition of in-house classification, LC subject headings, and missing RDA fields, and will create original records for materials which have no available copy. Catalogers will also provide local fields in accordance with Johns Hopkins University guidelines for the collection.
This is a short-term full-time position (40 hours per week) with an expected duration of 5 months, complete at the end of March 2023. Hours will be based on access to the library: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Full-time shifts include one 30-minute paid lunch break and one 15-minute paid break. Benefits include accrued paid time off and holiday pay. Medical, dental, and eye care plans available and Backstage offers a competitive 401k match. The position is located on-site at the Eisenhower Library in Baltimore, MD.
- Perform original & copy cataloging using RDA standard in MARC format, following LC guidelines.
- Export records from OCLC Connexion and create item-level records in the library’s Horizon ILS
- Write call numbers in each item processed and attach barcodes
- Meet daily production levels and standards
- Make informed decisions within given specifications with little supervision
Required Qualifications & Skills
- ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS degree or considerable professional cataloging experience
- Experience with cataloging monographs
- Attentiveness to detail and quality
- Familiarity with library standards, including RDA, MARC21, DCRM(B), and LCSH
- Work in a deadline-oriented, production environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently & productively
- Learn new skills quickly and thoroughly
- Basic familiarity with Windows & Microsoft Office suite
- Type speed minimum: 40+ wpm
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Must pass a general knowledge test
Preferred Additional Qualifications & Skills, But Not Required
- Experience creating original bibliographic records
- Experience with foreign language cataloging (Romance and Western Germanic)
- Experience with OCLC Connexion
A background check and drug screening will be a mandatory part of the hiring process.
Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter and résumé/CV to Kelli Moyer, project manager, at email@example.com.
Learn More About Us!
- We post on our blog regularly about the latest topics in the industry.
- Conferences are a great way to network and attend discussions about librarianship and the latest technologies.
Our social has regular updates – links below!