Backstage Library Works provides professional and technical services
to libraries, museums, and archives around the world.
February 8, 2017
Backstage Library Works
On-Site Digitization Technician
Durham, North Carolina
Backstage is hiring for a temporary, full-time position as a Digitization Technician to work on-site at Duke University in Durham, NC.
- Temporary position estimated to last 6 months
- Expected dates: February through October 2017, subject to change based on project needs
- Full-time, temporary position, 40 hours per week
- Operating hours 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., hours based on access to the library
Backstage Library Works’ Digitization department is seeking a temporary technician to work at Duke University for a short-term project.
The digital tech will be responsible for the on-site day-to-day digitization production. This will involve receiving batches of materials from Library personnel, logging these batches and scanning on a high-end digital planetary camera system.
This person will perform daily routines to do image review, copy and back up data, communicate production statistics to our Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, office, and complete priorities as communicated. This position will report to a project manager located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
- Ability to work independently, with some past supervisory experience a plus
- Experience in photography, digital imaging or graphic arts
- Need to handle fragile materials without causing damage
- Work in a fast pace production environment while meeting daily production levels
- Maintaining consistent high-quality levels
- Perform inspection of digital images
- Perform minor modifications to images such as cropping, rotating, and padding
- Must be able to type accurately in order to capture metadata and record information in a spreadsheet or appropriate database
- Must be able to use Windows and Microsoft Office Suite
- Navigate a digital server environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Represent Backstage in a professional manner
- Proven dependability
- Ability to train another technician on-site
- Problem-solving and ability to follow written and verbal instructions with little to no supervision
- Will need to perform equipment maintenance with remote assistance from the Bethlehem Technician Services group
- Willingness to work flexible/overtime hours as required and ability to work as part of a team
- Willingness to travel to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- College degree or certificate
DESIRABLE, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop or other imaging software
- Experience with scanning
- Pay range is $12.50 to $16.00 per hour, depending on experience
- A series of skill tests will be given to evaluate qualifications
- Candidate will be required to pass a drug screen and background check before being hired
- This is a non-exempt, fully benefited position, including paid holidays
- This is a temporary position, anticipated to last for 6 months
If interested, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business, February 13, 2017.