Backstage Library Works provides professional and technical services
to libraries, museums, and archives around the world.
March 15, 2017
Backstage Library Works
On-Site Digitization Technician
Backstage is hiring to fill one temporary, full-time position for a Digitization Technician to work on-site at the Northern Regional Library Facility (NRLF) at the University of California, Berkeley.
- Temporary position estimated to last 6 to 7 months with the possibility to extent up to 2 years, beginning in April
- Full-time position, 40 hours per week
(8.5 hour days, minus half-hour lunch break)
- This is a first shift position during library hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Must be able to travel to Bethlehem, PA; for a 2-week training period
The digital tech will be responsible for performing digital imaging. The technician will receive daily batches from library personnel, log those batches, scan/photograph the items on a high-end, digital, planetary-mounted camera system.
The technician will also perform daily to review images, copy and back-up data, communicate production statistics to our off-site office, and ship digital data on hard drives.
This is expected to be an independently operating position that will report to a project manager located in either Provo, Utah or Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
- Ability to work independently, with some past supervisory experience a plus
- Experience in photography, digital imaging or graphic arts
- Need to handle fragile materials without causing damage
- Work in a fast paced production environment while meeting daily production levels
- Maintain consistently high quality levels
- Perform inspection of digital images
- Perform minor modifications to images such as cropping, rotating, and padding
- Must be able to type accurately in order to capture metadata and record information in a spreadsheet or appropriate database
- Must be able to use Windows, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Office Suite
- Navigate a digital server environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Problem-solving and ability to follow written and verbal instructions with little to no supervision
- Willingness to work flexible/overtime hours as required and ability to work as part of a team
- College degree or certificate
DESIRABLE, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop or other imaging software
- Experience with scanning
- Pay range is $33,000 to $41,000 annually
- Full benefits, including health, dental, vision, paid time off, and paid holidays
- This is a temporary position, anticipated to last 6 to 7 months with the possibility to extend up to 2 years.
- A series of skill tests will be given to evaluate qualifications
- Candidate will be required to pass a drug screen and background check before being hired
If interested, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 24, 2017.